Saturday, January 27, 2018

150 Pathways to God, #6 Song of the Flute

Durga Pahimam Journey to Satisfaction  (Durga Pahimam is a Kirtan chant by Jai Uttal)


I am the flute

finding satisfaction in and with his voice, we make
an incensed sound offering floating upward, outward, inward to the Holy One.

Flute and voice imbuing the space between this moment and
the next.

Becoming the melody I danced again with the people of my day
new and old, 
strangers and my beautiful son
and my lovely work well done

the memory as delicious as spicy ginger blended with salty miso
the warmth of toasted sesame oil met with the tartness of rice wine vinegar

Dripping from the peppery leaves of cress
teasing the tongue
joy enough for every heart
and more still.

Though some did not know what this was. Listen.

Plucking the strings and making an inviting sound, that is my joy. 
Pluck, pluck, pluck, join the drum, and I will enter in with a breath 
over the hole in the wooden reed.

I observed some in their sadness 
some calling it to themselves
I could not go with them
I witnessed it all from over here.

(I hear the sound of his voice, I feel the pull to sing into the mantra.)

Still, I reached deep into myself and offered to assist
my inner being to their inner being
but no help was accepted.  All is well
it is assured.

It is assured.

I am the flute
catching up to his voice again, and still again
we make our passionate work 

holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment