Saturday, January 27, 2018

150 Pathways to God: #7 Blood

My cats are not welcome in the bedroom at night. I love them dearly. But I love undisturbed sleep more. Recently, when I got up during the night they ran in thinking themselves very cleaver. Big Ben scampered under the bed but I caught him by the back legs and gently pulled him out. Though he did not resist his sharp claw caught the tender skin of the tip of my finger. It was dark but I felt the sticky wetness. I was annoyed to have been cut though I knew he had not meant to harm me. I dreaded wearing a band-aide for the next few days. My finger began to pulse. I turned on the light to assess the damage. I hate the sight of blood, the least of which makes my stomach turn. Dread.

I stood in the middle of my bedroom floor at 4:30 in the morning star-struck by the dot of blood rapidly forming into a perfect droplet. I was suddenly and overwhelmed with joy by the velvety depthless depths of its color; the sheer beauty of it was astounding. I immediately understood that I was meeting myself. Hello self. 

Self who is bound to the expansive wholeness of the universe; a selfish/selfless satisfaction beyond words. In what was but a few seconds an eternity passed, and altogether, and at one time, I felt within the whole of myself the macro - cosmic unity of the blood of all people and all living things as well as a deep appreciation for the micro tasks of blood - how profound its work to carry within itself oxygen and nutrients, minerals and enzymes to every part of the body… indeed we are wonderfully made! The sum of the perfection of it was as beautiful as any flower I have ever seen. I felt a profound kinship with my blood, usually (thankfully!) hidden from me. I might have starred at it for hours, self conversing with self, but shortly that perfect drop that was steadily growing would surely break and hurried to wash and bandage. 

How brief our time of connectedness sacred kin of my kin. Oh, but how delightful and beautiful you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment